How to Avoid a Conservatorship

Becoming incapacitated is a common fear among those considering putting together an estate plan.  Who will take care of your needs is an even more frightening question.  Many people incorrectly believe that their loved ones are entitled to take over care immediately.  Someone has to be legally appointed to care for a loved one in the event they become incapacitated.  Also, not just anyone is allowed to manage a person’s finances if he or she is unable to do so.  An individual has to be appointed to assist with financial management in the same way as they do for personal needs.  This person can either be selected by the court or can be chosen in advance using certain estate planning documents.

A conservatorship is a legal proceeding in which a court chooses a person or organization to care for an incapacitated adult and/or manage their finances.  A conservator can be selected for one need and not the other or to fill both roles.California has different types of conservatorships including a general and limited conservatorship, as well as one for the purpose of caring for a mentally ill individual.  A conservator of the person tends to the personal needs of the incapacitated such as making living arrangements, arranging for meals and housekeeping.  A conservator of the estate is chosen to handle the incapacitated person’s finances.This person controls the income, assets and expenses of the person subject to the conservatorship.

Just like many other legal proceedings, conservatorships can be long, drawn out, expensive and emotionally trying. Luckily, all of this can be avoided by a small amount of pre-planning.  Health care directives can circumvent the need for a conservator of the person and a durable power of attorney can be used to avoid the need for a conservator of the estate.  Going to an estate planning attorney saves beneficiaries money that would otherwise go towards legal fees in the event that a conservatorship becomes necessary.  This also allows a person to maintain a certain amount of control over who cares for them in the event of incapacity.

If you are interested in discussing a durable power of attorney and a health care directive, or have any other estate planning or asset protection questions, call Brian Chew at (949)347-5256.